Horses are one of the popularly domesticated animals today. Their relationship with humans date far and beyond and up to today, they’ve proven to be quite a favorite particularly in the field of leisure and sports. Today with Equine America, we made a list of fun facts and trivia about horses that might sound news to you! Check them out and let’s have some fun!
- An adult horse’s brain weights about 22 oz. That’s the same mass as a regulated NBA basketball and half that of the human brain. It’s also pretty smaller in size, just as huge as that of a baked potato.
- Chariot racing was part of the earliest Olympic game lineup and considered the most important and popular of the equestrian games. It was first added in 680 BC and came in two and four-horse races.
- Horse hooves are like the fingernail to equines. It will take approximately 9 to 12 months to completely grow an entire one back.
- Horses can sleep both standing up and lying down. They can lock their leg muscles so they won’t topple over should they snooze on all fours. Cool huh?
- Leonardo da Vinci, famous Italian polymath known for his paintings like the Mona Lisa and the Last Supper was known to fondly make sketches of the animal.
- Their ears are also great indicators of their attention. If you want to know where they are looking without having to check their eyes, see where their ears pint to. It also helps that they have16 muscles in each ear and can rotate them 180 degrees.
- Their sense of sight is pretty peculiar. They can see better at night compared to humans but will take more time adjusting from light to dark and vice versa. Each of their eyes can see different images at the same time and almost completely around its entire body except directly behind, underneath its head and in front of its face.
- They cannot vomit. This is because of their cut-off valve muscle and the angle in by which their esophagus meets the stomach thus creating a tight shut.
- They like anything sweet and are particularly not a fan of sour and bitter tasting food. This is also the reason why they have a penchant for sweeter treats like apples and strawberries.
So which among these fun facts from Equine America surprised you the most?